Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Excessive bleeding

11/19/2007

Question:

my girlfriend had a transfusion a few months ago cause of low blood count and she`s low again (7), they want to try to give her iron shots weekly and oral pills as well as do biopsy on uterus. Has been tested for lupus (neg). I know she has extremely heavy cycles what other areas should we start looking?

Answer:

While it is difficult to say very much without seeing your girlfriend, examining her, and looking over the records, it seems like they are worried about iron deficiency in her. The uterine biopsy may also have been done to evaluate potential sources of uterine bleeding. Everything sounds like she has been diagnosed and is being treated for iron deficiency anemia. It sounds as though the doctors are trying to evaluate all potential sources of blood loss that are leading to the iron deficiency.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine