Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Rupture of vein in palm of hand

11/26/2007

Question:

Recently my wife, age 56, apparently ruptured a vein in the palm of her hand while opening a jar (with little force). Symptoms were spontanous an intense itching sensation in the area, no reported pain, and an observable hematoma in the hand. This is the 2nd time this has happened. The previous incident occurred elsewhere on her arm w/o any known trauma. Is this something that needs to be checked out with her physician? Is this indicative of varicose veins? What diagnostic tests would be used? Thanks for your response.

Answer:

Overall what you describe doesn’t concern me too much. I’m not sure if she is on any medications, more specifically steroids which can over time make the connective tissue less resilient and more fragile. This can also happen with increasing age. Although it was only minor trauma or force, it may have been the twisting motion as well that caused the stress and the vein to rupture. I would bring this to her doctor’s attention if it seems to be happening more frequently going forward into the future.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine