Breast Cancer

Nodule in left breast

11/29/2007

Question:

Hi, I am 40 and had my first mammogram this month, and the mammogram found a 8mm nodule in the left breast. I was then scheduled for a ultrasound/mammogram, and they couldn`t find anything via ultrasound, but the radiologist showed me the mammogram and said that it is probably benign and to come back in 6 months, and he said that the nodule was only 3mm not 8mm. Would you get a second opinion or wait for 6 months.

Answer:

In general, a good ultrasound should be able to locate a cancer in your breast if it exists. Occasionally, an abnormality on mammogram can not be seen on ultrasound, however. In this case, the standard recommendation is to repeat the mammogram in 6 months to make sure that the area hasn't changed. If it does increase in size, then biopsy is recommended at that time. Having said this, however, I would get a second opinion if it will bring you peace of mind.

Go to the Breast Cancer health topic, where you can:

Jean T Stevenson, MD, FACS Jean T Stevenson, MD, FACS
Associate Professor of Surgery