Exercise and Fitness

Extreme burning in leg and foot

11/20/2007

Question:

I am a chronic pain patient and also a heart patient. 2 botched up back surgeries that has for the past 22 yrs. really caused a lot of damage to my left leg and foot. For all these years I have not had over 15% feeling in the left side of me, meaning my leg and foot. For the past year I have started getting burning sensations in my foot that will honestly make you wake up rubbing and crying. I feel like someone has stuck a hot iron poker to my left foot in the top inside and also bottom of my foot. Its burns so bad it feels that the pain is unbearable. I have pain medication and it does NOT work. In the past two days I have been experiencing severe sting burning in the front part of my leg right above my foot. After 20 plus years of no feeling and then these symptoms I am in pain that cannot be discribed really. Could this be a sign of a clot, I take blood thinners as well as blood pressure meds. Had two more heart stents in June of this yr. I am so scared of hospitals its unreal because I guess of the surgeries i have had. Please tell its not serious. When these pains hit its a stinging burn, and it will get your attention. So painful. please help

Answer:

I am sorry to hear about your chronic pain. 

I suggest consulting a Pain Management Center with highly skilled physicians who could best address your situation.  They will order the necessary tests to best evaluate your condition.  They will also reexamine your current medications since you continue to experience so much nerve pain.  A qualified physician will also coordinate with other specialists to address your heart condition. 

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Carolyn   Nickol, RD, MEd Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Director
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley