Gum Diseases

Gum inflammation & pain

11/28/2007

Question:

Two days ago I began experiencing moderate pain & swelling in my right upper & lower gums. The last 24 hours have been almost unbearable. I am 35yo Female, have a perm bridge for 7 of my uppers, recently switched my BC from Yasmin to Yaz. I take good care of my teeth & visit my dentist about 1x a year. My dentist doesn`t have an appt open for another 2 months. I`m taking Advil, tylenol, & using ice packs. Cold & heat help but I`m in constant pain & can`t sleep or eat much because of it. Has there been a link to Yaz & gum inflammation/pain? Is there a home remedy to help ease the pain until I can see my dentist? Thank you for your advice.

Answer:

Gum diseases in general do not cause acute pain unless you develop a periodontal abscess or nectorizing gum diseases. It sounds as you have acute pulpitis (root canal problem), or you may have a combined problem (gum diseases on top of root canal problem).  The pain will probably go down when the nerve will become totally necrotic. But this may take days. It needs to be taken care of as an emergency. I am sure that your dentist has a program for emergency cases. If not, he/she should refer you to somebody else or nearby hospital services. 

I hope that this information will be helpful. 

Go to the Gum Diseases health topic, where you can:

Binnaz   Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD Binnaz Leblebicioglu, DDS, MS, PhD
Associate Professor of Periodontology