Vascular Surgery

Right leg and varicose veins

11/26/2007

Question:

I have varicose veins in my leg that are very painful at times when I stand a long time, they are continuing to break more as I get older. Any solutions.

Also, in that same leg I recently noticed a small knot under the skin that I can feel. I checked it out to see if it was an insect bite, but there is not a head and it is under the skin. It is about the size of a pea, any idea what this can be. It is just a little soreness when you press on it. I am a cardiac patient 59 years old and was wondering is it something to be concerned about.

Answer:

There are several minimally invasive options to treat problems with veins although your cardiac history may preclude some of them. If you are not a smoker and have normal pulses in your feet, support stockings would help give you relief. Have your doctor refer you to a vascular surgeon if you want to investigate it further.

Good luck!

Go to the Vascular Surgery health topic, where you can:

Amy B Reed, MD Amy B Reed, MD