Digestive Disorders

Hpylori, Completed the Antibiotics it still

02/07/2008

Question:

Hi, I was diagnosed with Hpylori a month back....I completed 14 days course of Prevpac antibiotics....after that doc has asked me to take Pepcid 40 mg for 6 more weeks before going for a breath test. I had CT scan a week back...report came normal...but my stomach still hurts...pain is not consistent...sometimes it`s on left sometimes it`s on right... Can anyone with Hpylori infection share his/her experience as how long normally it takes to overcome this infection? This will be of great help as I am feeling little down because of this. Please do reply. Best wishes and Thanks in advance...

Answer:

When using 3 medications for treatment, Hpylori is treated 80% of the time. There is an approximately 20% chance the bacteria is still present even after treatment. The breath test will help answer that question.

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

Julia Gore Thornton, MD Julia Gore Thornton, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine