Breast Cancer

Complex breast lumps

12/04/2007

Question:

I am 36, went for a baseline Mamo. Required to come back for ultrasound. Ultrasound found 2 lump close to the chest muscle right next to each other. Biggest one 1/2". It shows shadows on the ultrasound. Based on ultrasound, Dr. told me that the fluid in it is like "pudding" with a few "dots" within the biggest lump. I am scheduled for an asperation/ultrasound core biospy on Monday - most likely the biospy because of the internal content. I am very afraid of this biospy because I am squeemish. Can you comment on the level of pain/discomfort I will expect to have during the procedure and how long does this procedure take? What are the chances this is cancer? Is "pudding" internal to the lump typical?? Any advice is helpful.

Thanks!

Answer:

I would expect mild discomfort, similar to a dental appointment. I am not sure how long the procedure will take. Please let the technician/doctor know how "squeamish" you are about procedures. Then they will do everything possible to make you comfortable. I cannot tell how suspicious the areas are. You could ask the doctor doing the procedure what the chance is that this is cancer. Good luck.

Go to the Breast Cancer health topic, where you can:

Paula  Silverman, MD Paula Silverman, MD