Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Platelets

11/30/2007

Question:

I took my 6yr old in to see the doctor as he was complying about his throat and the doctor checked it and it was red they ran a strep test and it was negative so they run a blood test and I was he had low platelets. They said his platelet count is 40 so we went back in 2 days later and it had go up to 71 but he also got some dark spots on his arm and 2 or 3 by his knee so 3 days later we went back and it was up to 91 so he stayed home from school and yesterday they were at 101. What does a low platelet count mean in a child and what should I do from here? I have an appt again to run a blood test in 2 weeks.

Answer:

It is hard to say anything definite with only limited information, and I am not a pediatric hematologist, but on the surface if sounds to be possibly a viral infection related ITP, or immune thrombocytopenic purpura.  Many times these are self-limited problems that get better on their own.  But, I would have you discuss this with your pediatrician to see if they feel your child needs to see a pediatric hematologist.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine