Addiction and Substance Abuse

Not sure what to do next

11/30/2007

Question:

i have a family member that is addicted to crack cocaine and alcohol he has tryed detox ,na meetings, church, and also family support nothing seems to work .Not sure what to do next i am loosing my family not sure what to do have been dealing with this off and on for 10years. my family does not have insurance so there for it is hard to find treatment that we can afford.

Answer:

I would recommend that you start to attend Co-Anon or Al-Anon meetings.  You are not alone.  These groups offer fellowship for husbands, wives, and close friends of someone who is chemically dependent.  The focus is the problems that come from living with someone with addiction.  Addiction affects every relationship. 

There is no charge to attend and participate.  The meetings will offer you wisdom, tools, and local resources. You will learn to recognize and avoid enabling your loved one.  Families sometimes enable and prevent the individual from experiencing the consequences of their actions. This prevents the addict from learning from their mistakes.

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Deborah L Hoy, CNS Deborah L Hoy, CNS
Clinical Instructor at the College of Nursing