Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Gum inflamation/pain after injury and implant

12/03/2007

Question:

My friend has been in a 2 year battle with tremendous pain. She had a fall that knocked out her two front teeth. She has undergone the process of having implants put in, but has terrible pain that she cannot bear anymore and has not been resolved yet although she has been referred to several dentists (DDS/DICOI/AACD/OMFS).

When she was using an insert, the pain was only when the insert was in place and went away when she removed it for the night (after an hour or two). Now that she has temporary implants in the pain is constant. She has had tests for a neuroma and the OMFS felt since the nerve block only removed 80% pain it wasn`t nerve related. They have sculpted her gums in the past and wish to do so again. The gums can seen to be inflamed still. Whats the right solution/path to determining the cause and solving it? What might be the cause?

She is at her wits end. Any advice would be helpful. Advice on how to best get a high quality second opinion would be helpful too.

Thank You.

Answer:

I suggest getting a second opinion form a neurologist or pain expert.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Julie A Holloway, DDS, MS, FACP Julie A Holloway, DDS, MS, FACP
Associate Professor of Restorative and Prosthetic Dentistry