Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Swollen penis, what do i do?

12/05/2007

Question:

My son is 2 1/2 years old. He was circumcised last year when he had an infection and the Dr told us it was because he was not circumcised. They told us it would not happen again if he was. We had a case of mild food poisoning in our whole family over the weekend and he woke up this morning with diarhea. The scar tissue that formed after his circumcision is now swollen and red. I`m not sure what I should do? He does not seem to be in a great deal of pain, and is urinating normally.

Answer:

I am uncertain what you mean by "scar tissue" that formed after the circumcision. Generally there is little or no scar tissue. That being said, the skin on the penile shaft is very elastic and can swell significantly if there is localized inflammation. The absence of pain is an indication that the swelling should resolve pretty quickly on its own once the medical condition has resolved.

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP Jack S Elder, MD, FACS, FAAP
Clinical Professor of Urology