Bilateral mastoid disease

12/12/2007

Question:

My brother-in-law just found out 2day he has Bilateral Mastoid Disease,My sis can not find any info. on this an I never heard of it,I have made some calls today to some nurse`s aid of Docters,and my mother-in-law she works for a Docter`s Office(I just asked her 2 nite) she said she will check on it,if possible.If any one knows about this PLEASE let me an my family now of any information out there..Thank you

Answer:

The question is whether this is active or inactive disease. Symptoms of mastoid disease can include hearing loss, dizziness, drainage from the ear, ringing in the ear, headache, etc. Your relative should get a hearing test and see an ear specialist (otolaryngologist). A CT scan may be needed. Antibiotics may be needed. Sometimes, surgery is needed as well.

Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS Ravi N Samy, MD, FACS
Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Skull Base Surgery Fellowship, Director of Adults Cochlear Implantation Program