NetWellness is a global, community service providing quality, unbiased health information from our partner university faculty. NetWellness is commercial-free and does not accept advertising.
Wednesday, January 28, 2015
Immediately after the elderly has fallen
What procedures should be followed when it is apparent that the fallen elderly person is injured and we are waiting for 911 to respond?
Some suggestions for immediate post fall for older person after 911 has been called:
- Try to stay calm yourself.
- Stay with the person.
- Encourage minimal movement if the person is conscious. The person needs to remain where they fell if at all possible. Do not move the person unless more dangerous to have the person remain in place, ie fire, explosions, etc.
- Keep person as immobile as possible to avoid extending an existing injury or risking another fall.
- Use a blanket to keep the person warm. Sometimes people will experience a body chill or even shock from a fall, depending on the circumstances.
- Try to calm the person if upset. Tell the person that 911 has been called and help is on the way.
The suggestions are intended to give basic care for an individual who has fallen.
Evelyn L Fitzwater, DSN, RN
Associate Professor Emerita
Associate Director of the
College of Nursing
University of Cincinnati