Stroke

Lacunar infarct

12/20/2007

Question:

i had an mri brain plain recently dec. 5, 2007. the findings says i had a tiny lacunar infarct (2-3mm). i hav pregnancy-induced hypertension 3 yrs ago, i am now 41 yrs. old & my recent blood test results blood fasting sugar 89, cholesterol 213, LDL 143, triglyceride 217 and sgpt 105. Im now taking norvasc in the morning and teveten 600mg in the evening for my hypertension. Aspirin 100mg at lunch. Omega 3 supplements after dinner and lecithin e 3xday. but i still continue to experience numbness and weakness episodes as much as 3 times a day. My blood pressure is very much controlled @100/70. what kind of exercises can i do? what can you recommend that i should do? thank you.

Answer:

Given the incidental lacunar infarct in the MRI and the recurrent episodes of numbness and weakness, I recommend evaluation by a neurologist with expertise in stroke sooner rather than later. In the mean time, continue Aspirin and follow a low fat diet regimen strictly. You might require a lipid lowering medication if your LDL is not controlled on low fat diet. Other life style modification include exercise for 1/2 hour three times a week.

You are too young to have a stroke, hence I recommend further evaluation and work up.

Best regards.

Go to the Stroke health topic, where you can:

Yousef  Mohammad, MD, MSc Yousef Mohammad, MD, MSc
Director, Stroke Fellowship Program