Athletic Training

I fell off the bus

12/16/2007

Question:

I went to the ER and they said that I have a sereve sprained left ankle.I have since been to the Orthopedic doctor who has said the same. I feel as though there is a bone or pocket of something that is sticking out by the ankle bone. Should I go back to the same doctor or my primary doctor? I don`t want to make trips that are not needed.I still have pain walking on it.More so now than before.

Answer:

I would continue with the therapy the doctor prescribed or do whatever they told you to. I am sure they are confident that this is a sprained ankle. The little pocket off the side of the ankle bone is most probably swelling. I would continue icing and stretching as directed, then if there is no change within the next few days to a week, you should call the orthopaedic doctor. This would be helpful if you still have questions regarding the progress of your ankle.

Good luck.

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Chalisa   Fonza, MA, ATC Chalisa Fonza, MA, ATC
Athletic Trainer
Clinical Instructor at the School of Allied Medical Professionals