Strange `tickling` feeling in legs

12/19/2007

Question:

I have been played football for a long time, but now I haven`t much time for training, therefore my legs are very weird to me in last 3 weeks. I feel that if I don`t get up from chair, mine legs would more cause me a trouble. The main thing that I feel like little irritation in the legs, not exactly the pain, but the kind of uncomfortable feeling. By the way, I noticed, when I lastly had the training, mine legs felt tiresome, whereas the irritation dissapeared, What to do? Could You give me some tips? PS Haven`t much time for sports activities

Answer:

These sensations that you are having in your legs are called "parasthesias" and there are many possible causes.  These causes can only be determined by a physical exam and blood tests.  Possible causes include diabetes, electrolyte disturbances (i.e. abnormal sodium, potassium or calcium levels), thyroid problems, vitamin deficiencies and circulation problems.  I would recommend that you see a physician who can help you get to the bottom of this problem by performing appropriate examination and testing.  I hope this helps.

Charles Webster, MD