Adult bed wetting

12/19/2007

Question:

I`m a 40 year old male and have just started wetting the bed. Over the last 4 months it has happened 4 times. Everytime it has happened I was dreaming I was in the bathroom going. I have had a phyical and everything seems to be ok. I talked to my doctor about this and he says it`s nothing to worry about. Any ideas on what might be going on? Thank you.

Answer:

Bed wetting during sleep, also known as sleep enuresis, often has a variety of underlying causes. Sleep enuresis is quite common in children but begins to decrease in frequency once above the age of 5. Only about 1-2% of 18 year olds will have this problem and it becomes even less frequent in adulthood until urinary incontinence becomes a problem with aging (mostly in the over 65 year old population).

Most cases of sleep enuresis in adulthood are due to other underlying medical problems and usually do not represent a problem with the urinary system per se, although urinary tract disorders can also lead to enuresis. Medical conditions associated with enuresis include obstructive sleep apnea (repetitive airway closing in sleep), congestive heart failure, diabetes, urinary tract infections, nighttime seizures, depression, severe psychological stress, and dementia. Of course, excessive intake of fluids or substances that promote urination (i.e. diuretic medications, caffeine, and alcohol) can also lead nighttime bedwetting.

You mention that there is an association between your episodes of bedwetting and dreaming. This could also suggest a possible dream sleep (REM) – related sleep disorder, though usually other symptoms are present (such as acting out dreams, feeling paralyzed, nightmares, etc.).

Based on the limited information in your question, it’s hard to pinpoint an exact cause for your enuresis. A routine physical examination may not completely exclude a number of the above mentioned medical conditions.

If there are lifestyle changes you can make (such as avoiding alcohol or caffeine near bedtime), then I would try these first. If these fail to resolve the problem, then further evaluation should be considered. You should not accept that this is normal.

If your problems persist, then I recommend you readdress this issue with your primary care physician. Additional specific factors in your history will be useful in determining how best to further evaluate and treat this problem. Referral to a Urologist may be needed. Evaluation by a Sleep Specialist in your area might also be considered if there is concern for an underlying sleep disorder.

If you would like further information about sleep disorders or sleep itself, I recommend the American Academy of Sleep Medicine website. In addition to information about sleep medicine, the website also contains a list of accredited Sleep Centers and may help you to locate one nearest you, if needed. The website Sleep Education.com also can provide consumer-friendly information about sleep disorders. Good Luck!

Dennis   Auckley, MD Dennis Auckley, MD