Menopause

Hot flashes and pounding heart

12/18/2007

Question:

I have stopped taking estrogen for about three months due to recommedations from my cardiologist and md. Lately I`ve been experiencing hot flushes with a pounding heartbeat and a more rapid hearbeat. This seems to happen a few times during the day, except when I am at work where I am always cold due to the cold enviorment. I went to my family doctor who said it was stress, I am not so sure although I am under great stress from all directions. I had a full hysterectomy several years ago due to fibroids. What should I do?

Answer:

It sounds a though you are having severe hot flashes. First, check with your cardiologist to be sure there is no additional problem with your heart in terms of the rate and rhythm. If all is well there, check with a menopause expert in your area about the alternative treatments for hot flashes such as venlafaxine, fluoxetine, gabapentin. Since your hot flashes did not occur in the cooler environment, try to find ways to keep yourself cooler elsewhere.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology