Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Addiction and Substance Abuse

Marijuana addicton



My son has been through drug court, a four month program. As result of not staying clean he was sent to,rehab 4 months. Then probation, he violated probation for testing positive,incarserated for 13 months now he is on parole. Been out on parole 2 months. He attends some na meetings. Still he cannot get off the pot. I tested him , he is positive again and facing going to jail till he is 21 he is 18 now. I have no more options,no money and no insurance. I`m despertly trying to save my son. Other than the pot he is wonderfull person. My question is, can he be helped by a medical doctor. They say there are pills for alchoholics, smokers, herion addicts. Is there someing for marijuana users. Willing to try almost anything!


The only requirement to stop a marijuana addiction is the desire to stop smoking it. There are no pills, potions or lotions that will help him quit. The only possibility is that if he is ADHD , he is probably self-medicating. People who are depressed also self-medicate with marijuana.

If he wants to stop smoking pot, then that must become the most important thing in his life. He has been through treatment, so he knows what he has to do to stop using marijuana. A commitment to a Recovery Program such as AA or NA would definitely be in his best interest.

One of the problems with marijuana addicts is that they undervalue everything. Going to jail might be the wake-up call he needs.

It sounds as if you might be helped significantly by attending Alanon meetings regularly. There you will learn that you have no control over him and that you must take care of yourself. Detach with love. God bless you.

For more information:

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Peter D Rogers, MD, MPH
Clinical Associate Professor
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University