Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Eye and Vision Care

Bump on my eyeball



I have seen an eye dr about a bump on my eyeball and was told that one of the conjunctiva glands was obstructed. The dr offered to pop it with a sterile needle but that freaked me out. What is the medical term for this condition? I was told that the problem itself was common and not an infection of any kind. Any help would be appreciated. Viv


Thank you for your question. From your description, it sounds like you may have either a conjunctival retention cyst or blocked meibomian gland. A conjunctival retention cyst is a fluid-filled sac located on the conjunctiva (the conjunctiva is the membrane that covers the white part of the eye as well as the inner part of the eyelids).

Meibomian glands are oil-producing glands located in your upper and lower eyelids. Sometimes these glands can become blocked if the oil produced by them becomes too thick.

Both of these conditions are common and will most likely not lead to an eye infection. However, if you do experience any pain, redness, irritation or decrease in vision, please schedule an appointment with your eye care practitioner for an evaluation.

For more information:

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS
Clinical Associate Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry
The Ohio State University