NetWellness is a global, community service providing quality, unbiased health information from our partner university faculty. NetWellness is commercial-free and does not accept advertising.
Saturday, September 20, 2014
Unknown allergic reaction
I have never been allergic to any substance. Christmas Eve I ate two mushrooms (purchased at grocery store). I had stuffed them with breadcrumbs and stems. Christmas Day I ate two more. I began to feel lumps in the roof of my mouth and I have a large blister at the corner of my mouth. The right side of my mouth is also slightly swollen. I thought I had cankas but I have never seen one that looks like a blister. I have never before eaten stuffed mushrooms. I am a senior citizen.
It is not possible to tell whether this was an allergic reaction or a coincidental canker sore (aphthous ulcer). I would advise that you not eat stuffed mushrooms in the future. If this reaction should happen again, you should consult your personal physician.
I Leonard Bernstein, MD
Clinical Professor Emeritus
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati