Bump and sore right breast

12/31/2007

Question:

I have a bump for about 1 day on my right breast that is sore. Could it just be a pimple? I am 47 yrs old am now that i am older around the time of my monthly my breast gett extremly sore. Should I see a physican about this bump now on my breast it is small and sore. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Answer:

Painful bumps on the breast are often signs of infection. I would suggest that you see your provider so that it can be evaluated before it gets larger. I don't think that topical ointments will be very helpful. As to your breast getting more uncomfortable, this is also something that I'd see your provider about as there are some things that can be done to decrease the discomfort, but it's important for it to be evaluated first to assure that the treatment is the correct one for the condition. Hope this helps!

Elizabeth R Barker, APRN, BC, FNP, FAANP, CHE, PhD Elizabeth R Barker, APRN, BC, FNP, FAANP, CHE, PhD
Associate Professor, Nursing Graduate Studies