Large gray spots

01/25/2008

Question:

I have been having difficulties with seeing a large, somewhat obstructive gray spot in the inner portion of my right eye.This has been going on for over a year now. A short time after having a consultation with an opthamologist, the left eye started doing the same thing. The gray spot is especially apparent when looking at lighter backgrounds. It seems to be there most of the time & does cause some trouble with my ability to see. It is kind of like there is "scum" in that part of my eye. Nothing seems to improve it. My opthamologist said that he could find no floaters or any abnormalities in my eye structures. It is terribly bothersome to me. What is it & what can be done?

Answer:

The eye is filled with a fluid called the vitreous. As we age, the vitreous changes its consistency and develops floaters that move with the movement of the eye ball. Therefore, the floater or gray spot is generally an aging change and will stay with you over time.

However, in rare instances, the floater could represent the early stages of a retinal detachment, which is vision threatening. Therefore, it was a great idea to have your right eye evaluated by your ophthalmologist when your first gray spot appeared. Since you have noted a new floater in your left eye, I recommend that you have your eyes re-evaluated as soon as possible.

Best of luck to you.

Kind regards.

Melissa M Walters, OD
Assistant Professor of Clinical Optometry