Duphaston

01/06/2008

Question:

I still do not know what exactly Duphaston uses for..I have no problem with my menstruation cycle. I`m still trying for having a baby. And doctor gave me Duphaston after my menstruation cycle. So, why should I take this medicine?

Answer:

Duphaston or Dydrogesterone is a synthetic hormone similar to progesterone. It is used to treat many menstrual disorders that are due to a lack of progesterone in the body.

Progesterone is responsible for the development of a healthy womb lining (endometrium) for pregnancy. The body makes progesterone during the menstrual cycle, which prepares the womb lining to receive the fertilized egg. If the egg does not attach to the womb lining by the end of the menstrual cycle, the levels of progesterone in the body decrease and the lining is shed as a "period". If the fertilized egg successfully attaches to the womb lining, progesterone levels remain high in order to support the ongoing pregnancy.

Dydrogesterone helps to regulate the healthy growth and normal shedding of the womb lining, and thus is used to treat a variety of conditions including: absent, irregular or painful menstrual periods, infertility, miscarriage prevention, premenstrual syndrome, and endometriosis.  It is also used to minimize overgrowth of the uterine lining caused by hormone replacement therapy.

You should talk with your doctor to get clarification on what condition is being treated in you.

Esa M Davis, MD, MPH Esa M Davis, MD, MPH
Adjunct Assistant Professor of Family Medicine