Red bumps on throat

01/23/2008

Question:

I have had red bumps on my throat for about 3 months now. These bumps don`t hurt, and i`m still able to eat and drink. But recently my sister and I got colds then my throat started to hurt. The roof of my mouth now has a white color to it. Now the pain has gone away in my throat but the red bumps are still there. These bumps are worrying me. Could it be cancer or other diseases? Also I`m a virgin so it can`t be an std.

Answer:

I doubt very seriously that the red bumps represent cancer.  Without seeing them personally, it is very hard to make a diagnosis.  Oftentimes patients come into the office and complain about something they see in their mouth or throat.  They will tell us that they never noticed it before.  Usually what it means is that they never really looked before.  In other words, they are complaining about normal structures that they never noticed before because they never had any major reason to look.

If these bumps are a concern, you need to have a doctor look at your throat.  The best doctor to look at your throat would be an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist.

I hope everything works out for you.

Keith M Wilson, MD Keith M Wilson, MD
Associate Professor of Otolaryngology, Director of Head and Neck Division