Root Canals

Why can`t dentist properly treat 4 canals?

01/08/2008

Question:

I`ve lost 2 teeth now because dentist fail to properly treat the 4th canal because it is difficult to find and my mouth is so small. Then I end up with ongoing pain until my face swells up and the best option is now an extraction, only because dentist tell me that nothing shows on an x-ray and I must just have sensitive teeth.

Why is it so difficult to properly treat teeth with 4 canals? Why not save the patient all of the pain, time, money, and agony and just admit that it`s best to extract? Is it all about the money? Is tooth pain that difficult to determine?

Answer:

I would recommend that you seek an evaluation by an endodontist. Root canal treatment is a difficult procedure; that is why there are specialists who have received extensive training in the field. However, root canal treatment has a success rate in the high 90 percent when done well. If you are feeling frustrated, I recommend an evaluation by an endodontist before any more treatment is done.

Go to the Root Canals health topic, where you can:

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics