Arthritis and Rheumatism

What Could Cause Numbness in the Finger?

01/23/2008

Question:

I have rheumatiod arthritis and it is not controled, still very active. The past week when my hands get cold at all and I touch a spot on my little finger I get shooting pins and needles going up my finger. Like I got a shock. The spot is on my little finger left hand palm side nest to the second knuckle. I thought that it might be Raynaud`s phenomenon but they don`t turn blue or white. It does not cause any more pain then my RA already does. I will see my Rheumatologist next week. Can you give me some ideas what this could be?

Answer:

I agree that given absence of color changes in the skin it's less likely to be Raynaud's but due to association with cold temperature it's still a possibility with the vasospasm component possibly not severe enough to cause a color change but enough to lead to pain. Also need to consider possibility of neuropathy due to nerve compression from active RA.

Go to the Arthritis and Rheumatism health topic, where you can:

Johnny  Su, MD Johnny Su, MD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Medicine