Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Arthritis and Rheumatism

What Type of Doctor Should be Consuted for Pain in the Hip Joints and Legs?



For approximately 2 months now I have not been able to sleep hardly at all because of severe pain in both legs starting at the hip joints and running down both my legs, mainly at night when I try to sleep. They hurt during the day some, but I am able to do all the activites that I need to do. At night, though, I have to lie on my back or stomach to get any kind of sleep. I am at a loss as to what this could be or what type of doctor I need to contact. Thanks.


Radiating leg pain can have many causes. With the description provided it would be important to have an accompanying physical exam and perhaps more diagnostic tests to discover a cause. A suggestion for the type of consultant to start with is a neurologist or pulmonoligist who also specializes in sleep medicine. This type of physician would be able to identify if the pain is nerve-based or perhaps Restless Leg Syndrome.

For more information, you may be interested in our topic called Sleep Disorders.

Related Resources:

Restless Legs Syndrome - NetWellness Original
Restless Legs Syndrome - Ohio State University
Restless Legs Syndrome - MetroHealth Medical Center

For more information:

Go to the Arthritis and Rheumatism health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Raymond  Hong, MD, MBA, FACR Raymond Hong, MD, MBA, FACR
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Medicine
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University