Something growing out of my gums

01/16/2008

Question:

i had something growing out of my gums that i thought was a wisdom tooth. my dentist took xrays and found i have no tooth there, she could see irritation but didnt know what it was. this went on for months and it got sharper and kept growing out. my dentist still had no answers for me. the pain was unbelievable i couldnt take it any more. so finally i kept playing with it untill i "picked" what ever it was that was growing out. it is white and sharp and about the size of a pencil tip. i saved it and showed it to my dentist and she doesnt know what it is.....have you ever heard of something like this or know what or why it happened?

Answer:

From what you are describing, this sounds as if it could be a bony sequestrum (piece of dead bone) that has worked its way out. Sometimes little pieces of bone are damaged when teeth are removed and the dead fragments may not be expelled for years.

Also, little pieces of bone seem to die for no good reason occasionally, often in the lower jaw toward the back, on the side nearest the tongue. We call this "idiopathic lingual mandibular sequestration". In either case, it's a harmless process, but it can be annoying until the little piece of dead bone is removed or falls out. Let your dentist confirm that the area has returned to normal.

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor of Oral Pathology