Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents)

Bipolar II Disease and Methylin

I have been diagnosed with Bipolar II Disease. I am currently taking Tegretol, Lamictal, Seroquel, and Wellbutrin. Most every night I do not sleep and every day I am completely exhausted and additionally suffer the effects of insomnia (agitation, frustration, irritability, lack of energy and focus etc...) along with my fight with depression and racing thoughts. I recently took a 10mg Methylin tablet while having an awful day. It wasn`t long until I was feeling rested, calm, happy and for the first time in a long, long time, I felt like my old self again. I had not had that feeling in years. I have taken Methylin two more times (1 10mg. tablet each day) and once again I felt the best I have in months and months. Is this a viable medicine to help treat my Bipolar II disease? Is there a possibility of having ADHD along with being Bipolar II? This has given me a ray of hope I have so longed for...Thank you and God Bless.

It is possible to have bipolar disorder and ADHD. This is particularly not uncommon in children and adolescents. Of course, improvement with Methylin does not always mean that ADHD is a concurrent diagnosis. Other options could explain this. Hope this helps. 

Go to the Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents) health topic, where you can:

Nicholas A Votolato, RPh BCPP Nicholas A Votolato, RPh BCPP
Assistant Professor of Pharmacy
College of Pharmacy
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Emeritus