Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents)

Bipolar II Disease and Methylin

04/03/2008

Question:

I have been diagnosed with Bipolar II Disease. I am currently taking Tegretol, Lamictal, Seroquel, and Wellbutrin. Most every night I do not sleep and every day I am completely exhausted and additionally suffer the effects of insomnia (agitation, frustration, irritability, lack of energy and focus etc...) along with my fight with depression and racing thoughts. I recently took a 10mg Methylin tablet while having an awful day. It wasn`t long until I was feeling rested, calm, happy and for the first time in a long, long time, I felt like my old self again. I had not had that feeling in years. I have taken Methylin two more times (1 10mg. tablet each day) and once again I felt the best I have in months and months. Is this a viable medicine to help treat my Bipolar II disease? Is there a possibility of having ADHD along with being Bipolar II? This has given me a ray of hope I have so longed for...Thank you and God Bless.

Answer:

It is possible to have bipolar disorder and ADHD. This is particularly not uncommon in children and adolescents. Of course, improvement with Methylin does not always mean that ADHD is a concurrent diagnosis. Other options could explain this. Hope this helps. 

Go to the Bipolar Disorder (Children and Adolescents) health topic, where you can:

Nicholas A Votolato, RPh BCPP Nicholas A Votolato, RPh BCPP
Introductory Clinicxal Psychopharamcology
Advanced Clinical Psychopharmacology
Clinical Pharmacokinetics
Clinical Therapetics