Abnormal blood vessels on cervix

01/18/2008

Question:

I had LEEP procedure done about two years ago. Since then, I have received numerous normal pap smears. Problem is, I have experienced spotting after sex and any physical activity. My doctor said it was because of a friable cervix. I finally convinced her to further examine and she agreed to a colpscopy. During the colpscopy, she noticed abnormal blood vessels. After having read a few articles, I see this is synomanous with cancer. I am have two weeks till the results and would love some feedback-postive or negative.

Answer:

While certain characteristics of blood vessels on the cervix may lead one to suspect abnormal changes, they do not necessarily mean cancer. If you have had normal Pap smears after a successful LEEP procedure, it is unlikely that you have dysplasia (abnormal or precancerous changes). The friability could be a result of the way that your cervix healed after the procedure.  When women continue to have spotting after intercourse because of exposed blood vessels near the surface, these vessels can sometimes be ablated with cautery or freezing.

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology