Pulmonary Hypertension

PH and high blood pressure

01/17/2008

Question:

I am taking a calcuim channel blocker and a ACe inhibitor for my high blood pressrue. I had an ECHO done and it showed mild to moderate PH. I am waitng to see an cardiologist. My blood pressure has been good for about a year and I wanted to stop taking one of my medications. But I read that calcuim channel blockers are some times used to treat PH. Would it be better for me to wiat until i get to see the cardiologist before trying to get off my caclcuim channel blockers? How does these medications help PH?

Answer:

Thank you for your question. At this time you need further evaluation of your pulmonary circulation. You may or may not have significant pulmonary hypertension, and it sounds like you will have this with your cardiologist.

At this time I would recommend waiting to change any medication until you've been seen. Calcium channel blockers are used to treat a small group of patients with pulmonary hypertension, and if you are diagnosed with this, your cardiologist will be able to tell you if you are in that group. Calcium channel blockers are believed to relax the pulmonary blood vessels to reduce the pressure and there may be additional actions that are less well-characterized.

I hope that this helps.

Go to the Pulmonary Hypertension health topic, where you can:

Douglas W Haden, MD Douglas W Haden, MD