Oral Cancer

Are Bumps on the Back of the Tongue a Sign of Cancer?

01/29/2008

Question:

I took antibiotic 875-125 Augmentin. After four days on the medicine, my tongue felt burnt as is I drank very hot coffee. I called the doctor, and they said it's probably a yeast infection and instructed to stop taking the medicines. I saw the doctor today, he said it’s not yeast infection, that it looks like cysts of the tongue and that I should see a ENT specialist.

Is this a sign of cancer? Maybe I never noticed these bumps toward the back of my tongue. I looked with flashlight and went crazy. It looks like clumps of bumps. I touched them and they feel slightly raised and hard. Doctor gave me Clormitrozole sucking tabs until I see a specialist. I am so confused. If it doesn’t look like yeast infection to the doctor, then why the yeast oral medicines?

Answer:

Some of the taste buds at the junction of the front part of the tongue and the tongue base are anatomically larger than the others. They form a 'v' shaped line at that junction. But you should be seen and evaluated by an ENT specialist to make sure that there is no abnormal growth there.

Go to the Oral Cancer health topic, where you can:

Enver  Ozer, MD Enver Ozer, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Otolaryngology