High Blood Pressure

High Blood Pressure Headache

02/12/2008

Question:

A week ago I had a spell of high blood pressure for 2and 1/2 days with a maximum pressure of 150/84. Normally my Bp is controlled with Betazok 200mg and cozaar 100mg daily. The blood pressure returned to normal and is now less than 120/80 daily and less than 125/75 in the night. However, I have experienced a slight head pressure and minor dizzyness all day for over one week. Is this a cause for concern?. Tylenol will most of the time eliminate or minimize the symptoms. I have had over 6 of these blood pressure spells where it will rise high then return to normal in a few days. I am 59 years old. A year ago I had a very high rise of 199/110 and was checked at the hospital. IT seems the spells come and go with no explanation. This is the first time I have had any lingering problem after the high bp fluctiation. Could the medication cause the problem? I haveebeen on the medication for over 6 months. Any ideas are appreciated.

Answer:

It appears that your blood pressure is in general well controlled on your current medication.  It is unlikely that your headaches are related to your blood pressure.  Both Betazok and Cozaar as are usually well tolerated, but an unusual side effect is always possible.

Most headaches are self limited and benign.  However, there are a few signs that a headache could be due to a more serious underlying disorder:

If none of these are present, it is probably safe to wait and see if the symptoms subside on their own.

Go to the High Blood Pressure health topic, where you can:

Max C Reif, MD Max C Reif, MD
Director of Hypertension Section