Braces

Affordable braces

01/18/2008

Question:

My son had braces put on October/2007. The cost was $5500.00. The insurance was suppose to pay $5005.00 of it leaving us with a balance of $495.00. Well, my husband`s current insurance policy was canceled through his place of employment and has now given him a different insurance carrier. The first insurance carrier initally agreed to pay the first fee of $1251.00 when the bands were put on followed by 23 monthly payments of $160.00 and a final payment of $74.00. Since the insurance carrier has changed they are only going to pay a total of $1571.00 and the new carrier may pay up to $1700.00. If this happens we can not afford to pay the remaining balance of $2229.00. We cannot even afford to make monthly payments on that amount either. I am wondering if it would benefit us to go to another orthodontist to finish the treatments or seek financial help? If there is another orthodontist with reasonable prices please let me know.

Answer:

You might find a dental school in your area that provides low cost, high quality, orthodontic care. The average fee for orthodontics is in the 5-6K range, but sometimes dental schools discount the fee because they only see patients during school times. Some schools discount the fee 50%.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Mark G Hans, DDS, MSD Mark G Hans, DDS, MSD
Professor of Orthodontics
School of Dental Medicine