Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

Tourette syndrome



Hi there, I'm 11 and I would like to know how to control my tics during happy times such as Christmas, birthdays and New Year's. I'm doing well considering i'm in my second year of being diagnosed with Tourett's and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. I also have Obsessive-Compulsive Disoder. What I would like to know is how to control the twiches, such as movements and all that thank you for your time.


It is to your credit that you want to learn how to control your tics. You should have an evaluation by a child psychiatrist or child neurologist who is familiar with the problem of tics if you have not already.

There are two main ways to control tics. One is by medicine, which might also help your OCD and ADHD some. Another, newer way, is by behavioral treatment following a system that is kind of like lessons in how to handle the tics. One such program was developed by Dr. Larry Scahill and colleagues at Yale. You and your parents with your doctor will have to decide which treatment seems best for you.

Good luck.

For more information:

Go to the Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder health topic, where you can:

Response by:

L Eugene Arnold, MD, MEd L Eugene Arnold, MD, MEd
Professor Emeritus of Psychiatry
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University