Exercise and Fitness

Gel phenomenon

01/23/2008

Question:

Please discuss the different causes of gel phenomenon. (Muscle heaviness and stiffness after inactivity. With deep aching pain that is felt with movement of the muscles.) Is this mostly caused by a neurological or muscular disorder? Could it be caused by spinal disorders? My doctor said I had stenosis but not bad enough to cause my symptoms. My muscles get so very heavy and stiff after sitting, (and when walking), that it is hard to lift my legs. I drag my legs after a while. And I can not walk too long. Also: I can not stand on one leg, or walk on my toes. Why? Recently my upper arms are affected. Please comment.

Answer:

I have seen the term gel phenomenon used as it relates to rheumatoid arthritis.  However, I suggest discussing your concerns and symptoms with your primary physician who may refer you to a specialist.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Carolyn   Nickol, RD, MEd Carolyn Nickol, RD, MEd
Director
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley