Allergies

Feet and angiodema

01/24/2008

Question:

I have had periodic swelling of the feet for about 2 years now. The swelling becomes so severe that it impares my ability to walk. Over the past 2 months I have experienced swelling on the lip, once on the tongue and a couple times on the hand and butt area. I went to the er where the doctor prescribed me benadryl, pepcid, and prednizone. I went to an allergiest specilist where I was told I have angiodema... It is possible the foot is a seperate issue? Could there be another diagnosis?

Answer:

It sounds like pressure induced angioedema; however, there could be other potential underlying causes.  A thorough history with some limited testing would be required to determine the exact underlying cause.  I would find an allergist experienced in the treatment of pressure induced angioedema.  There are medications that are sometimes effective for this condition.

Go to the Allergies health topic, where you can:

Jonathan   Bernstein, MD Jonathan Bernstein, MD