Sarcoidosis

Is Sarcoidosis Causing Problems With My Mouth?

01/22/2008

Question:

I had iritus and on further tests I was diagnosed with sarcoidosis. My eyes have cleared up but my tongue gets swollen in the night. It gradually goes down in the morning after waking. Also my teeth are really sensitive and painful. Do you think this is to due to the scarcoidosis? Please help thank you.

Answer:

Dear Sir/Madam-

Sarcoidosis certainly can involve the mouth, causing various presentations. These include:

If your tongue swelling changes on a daily basis, as you describe, there may be other concerns, such as an allergic reaction to a medicine or food that you are taking.

I would recommend consultation with your physician to make sure you are not experiencing a serious drug reaction to explain the tongue swelling, particularly if you are having trouble breathing or swallowing. I would also recommend that you consult with a dentist to evaluate the pain in your teeth, making sure to mention that you have sarcoidosis.

Sincerely,

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine