Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Alzheimer's Disease

Search for Gerontologist



I live in the Cental Ohio area and have been searching for a gerontologist to evaluate and coordinate care for my mother. She has been diagnosed with Alzheimer`s Disease and although her Primary Care Physician seems to offer appropriate referrals, her care is very fragmented.

Any suggestions?


Thanks for the question. Finding a Geriatrician that provides primary care can be difficult as their numbers are limited. Another option is having mom seen by a Neurologist that specializes in Alzheimer's disease; where her dementia care could be provided by the specialist and her primary care needs by the Primary Care doctor.

This is what happens for most of the patients we see at The Ohio State University Memory Disorders Clinic (614-293-4969). We typically see our patients on an every 6 months basis (or more frequently if needed) and communicate with the Primary Care Physician regarding any recommendations, medication changes, testing results, research updates & opportunities, etc.. Families and patients and the Primary Care physicians know that we will oversee the dementia care, but defer to the PCP for their general medical needs.

A few names of Geriatricians in the Central Ohio area that provide primary care are:

I suspect there could be others out there, but these are all the names I currently have. Riverside Methodist Hospital has a geriatric center (called The Gerlach Center) but the physicians there provide a geriatric consultation/assessment, but do not assume ongoing primary care. Hope this helps.

For more information:

Go to the Alzheimer's Disease health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Rebecca A Davis, RN, LISW Rebecca A Davis, RN, LISW
Clinical Research Nurse of Neurology
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University