COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

Emphysema

01/31/2008

Question:

My dad`s doctor just told him that he has the early stages of emphysema. He has been a smoker for many years and just got a prescription for chantix. I was just wondering if he is successful with the chantix and does quit smoking will the stages of emphysema reverse? If not will it greatly reduce the chance of him being in a wheel chair with oxygen? Also, what may be a few things he could do to help with the early stages of this disease? Thank you so much.

Answer:

If your father is successful with Chantix, and we hope he will be, it can greatly slow down the progression of emphysema.  Although there is no cure for emphysema, if he is at an early stage and stops smoking he may live quite a long time and may not have progressive disease (ie. never be in a wheelchair or need oxygen). 

Things that are helpful with maintaining his pulmonary health in addition to smoking cessation would be:

Thank you for your question.

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Gretchen   Whitby, APRN Gretchen Whitby, APRN
Nurse Practitioner of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease

Phillip T Diaz, MD Phillip T Diaz, MD
Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine