Mental Health

Personality Changes Post Stent Placement

02/01/2008

Question:

My husband had 2 stents placed in his heart in Jan. They almost had to do open heart surgery ( the widow maker?) After the surgery he has become very short tempered and has resumed his job which takes him out of country for 8 weeks at a time. The last time he came home he told me he is divorcing me after 29 years. He says he has a new body and now wants a new life. There was no discussion, he just walked out of the house. This was very unexpected and none of the family had a clue. He was very emotionaless during this annoucement. Now as I am not quickly agreeing to a divorce end, he has been meaner than I could ever believe. I was wondering if you have heard of this before and if so could point me to some literature I could read and show him. We really did have a good marriage and I would like to help him see this. Thanks.

Answer:

I am not aware of any relationship between his cardiac procedure and personality "change". The best way to address this would be for you and your husband to agree to see a couples therapist who might be able to help you address your differences. If he is not willing to do this, you may consider seeing a therapist to help you better understand and deal with this difficult situation.

Go to the Mental Health health topic, where you can:

Radu   Saveanu, MD Radu Saveanu, MD