Pain Management

Severe Constant Leg Pain

02/07/2008

Question:

3 years ago I had a "mystery virus" that started off as a bad headache, then awfully pain in my spine (felt like a wringing/wrenching, top to bottom) and then ended with my right leg (lower thigh to ankle). In the beginning, my leg was hot to the touch, and I could not put weight on it, Gradually, the hotness subsided, and has turned into a "vise-like" pain - and is now in both legs. I have also had diabetes for about 10 years. My internist just filled the last of my pain medications (Ultram) and has told me to seek care elsewhere because he cannot help me. I cannot find anywhere or ANYONE that knows of this kind of awful pain. It NEVER goes away - regardless of position or activity. The Ultram keeps the pain manageable - but without a treating physician, I just don`t know where to turn.

Answer:

I am not sure what exactly happened. I would start by seeing a neurologist first. The pain you have described does not fall into a specific category of disease.

Please try to seek a neurologist hoping at that time he or she will be able to narrow down the differential diagnosis to enable a pain physician to help control your pain.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

Hammam  Akbik, MD, FIPP Hammam Akbik, MD, FIPP
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Anesthesia