Urinary Disorders

Kidney burning/pain

03/04/2008

Question:

Thanks for taking my question. I have had right flank pain for quite some time, on and off. In the past couple of years, I`ve noticed that cranberry juice and Pyridium have started to really make my right kidney area burn/hurt badly. It hurts worse when I take a deep breath during these times. Until a couple of years ago, Pyridium had no negative side effects. I`ve had an IVP and a renal ultrasound...both normal. The only thing the IVP showed was that my right ureter does not flow as well as my left (but it does flow). I have a history of endometriosis and severe adhesions in much of the pelvic/abdominal area. I guess my question is: have you ever heard of anyone having pain in a kidney after taking Pyridium or drinking cranberry juice? And what are some possibilities that could be causing this? Thank you again for your time, and may God bless.

Answer:

It is difficult to speculate exactly what is giving you the flank pain. It may be worth doing a lasix renal scan to ensure that the kidney drains adequately with lasix if this has not been done. If there is a congenital uretero-pelvic junction obstruction of the kidney, one can experience pain when more fluids are consumed. It would be worth following up with you doctor or seeing a urologist to review the films and examine you.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Donald R Bodner, MD Donald R Bodner, MD
Professor of Urology