Menopause

Menopause

02/26/2008

Question:

While having the last blood work to find out if my ovaries were functioning i found out I was in menapause,my count was 27.what does that mean,is it the beginning of menapause or what?Also during an ultrasound of my pelvis to check my ovaries,they could not be seen and had to do a vaginal ultrasound,why could they not be found with the other?

Answer:

If the number 27 refers to a FSH level, it is suggestive of menopause.  However, it is not highly convincing, because it is very close to the pre-menopausal range.  The FSH blood test is not highly reliable,  because it can be in the menopause range one day and not the next.  It is common for women to go in and out of menopause for awhile.

It is not uncommon for the technician not to be able to see the ovaries, especially on the abdominal scan.  With the transvaginal approach, the probe is closer to the ovaries and can sometimes find them more easily.  Sometimes bowel gas interferes with finding the ovaries.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology