Urinary Disorders

Discharge after ejaculation

02/14/2008

Question:

Hi, I am a 20 year old male, in good helath.

Last october, I started to have symptoms of a UTI, i.e. burning in urination. Then, I had severe epididymitis and a slight discharge from my penis. This cleared with antibiotics. A month later, my urine started to dribble after I finished urinating, and I needed to urinate quite frequently. My doctor said it was prostatitis, and gave me antibiotics. Now, my ejaculate is really sticky and after it goes flaccid, a gooey clear liquid discharges out.

Do you think I still might have prostatis?

I had a bacterial culture done on my urine 2 weeks ago, and it came back negative for bacteria. Can I assume that I do not have any STDs, i.e. chlamydia and gonnorhea? Does this mean I had non-bacterial prostatitis?

Thanks.

Answer:

A urine culture would not necessarily be positive for Chlamydia or GC. If you are concerned enough to send cultures, you would need to have swabs of the urethral discharge plated on specific culture media. It is not uncommon, however, to have a clear discharge after antibiotic treatment for a urethral infection. As for whether you still have prostatitis, you might. Prostatitis tends to occur in younger men and be a recurring problem even if treated appropriately. Current recommendations for bacterial prostatitis are for 6-12 weeks of antibiotics. Many providers only give patients 10-14 days.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Marc F Cymes, PA Marc F Cymes, PA
Clinical Instructor of Urology