Sores on gums above front teeth

02/15/2008

Question:

Hi, About a week and a half ago I noticed that under my top lip above my front teeth was sore. When I looked in the mirror I saw that the piece of gum that connects the lip to the gums (I don`t know what this is called) had a white spot on it and some of it was hanging off. It was sore for a couple of days but is no longer sore but is still there. Then yesteray I noticed my gum on my right side near this same place was sore and had a small sore there that was slightly white. The only thing I did different lately was used a new toothbrush and some baking soda to brush my teeth the day before I noticed the first problem. I am female and 37 years old. Do you think this is something serious? I have looked online for answers but all I find is doom and gloom that make everyone think they have sores related to cancer or aids. Any advice or answers you can give me would be appreicated. Thank you.

Answer:

The piece of tissue is the labial frenum. It is normal. Sometimes they have tissue tags hanging from them. Again that is normal.

As far as the sores, they could simply be cold sores type lesions or a place that has been irritated by the tooth brush. It is possible that you are having a reaction to the new tooth paste, but this is not likely from your description.

If you are still not comfortable, see your dentist to get their advice.

D Stanley Sharples, DDS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Primary Care Dentistry