Pulmonary Hypertension

PH or a chest cold

04/04/2008

Question:

I was told that on an echo that I have mild to moderate PH. I am waiting to see a cardiologist about further tests. I didn`t have no signs of this. I also have high blood pressure. The last week every time I do any thing like my daily walk I get chest pains, tightness in my chest, feels like someone is sitting on my chest, and I breath heavy faster then normal. When I go for my walk I am breathing heavier almost right away where before I would not breath heavy at all. I am also lightheaded and very tired. I don`t have a cough. I also have high blood pressure, anemia and rheumatiod arthritis. Which I am blaming some of my problems now to my RA. There is also a chest cold going around at work. Due to the medications for my RA I can get sick easly. How can I tell the difference if this is a chest cold or my PH has gotten worse?

Answer:

With a chest cold you may experience cough, increased shortness of breath, chest tightness; the symptoms with PH are similar, too. The best thing is to see you doctor and discuss it with him or her.

Go to the Pulmonary Hypertension health topic, where you can:

Namita   Sood, MD, FCCP Namita Sood, MD, FCCP
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Critical Care & Sleep