Diabetes

Grape juice

02/26/2008

Question:

I have diabetes (type 2) and would like to drink grape juice. I know the grapes are good for you, but do you know which grape juice drink I could use? I would really appreciate any help you can give me.

Answer:

The key issue here is that most grape juice products are fairly high in sugar and will raise your blood sugar.  Like all dietary decisions in diabetes, it is important to think about the overall food and calorie intake - rather than "forbidden foods," we generally want people to understand how to make decisions about any given food in the context of the overall balance - small amounts of anything may be okay if you can make appropriate other changes in your diet to balance it.  Some people are on adjustable medication regimens, in which they adjust the amount of glucose lowering medicine for the amount of carbohydrate.  I would therefore recommend that you address this question in the larger context with a dietician and/or certified diabetes educator.  You hopefully would be able to find such a person through your primary health care provider or perhaps a local hospital.

Go to the Diabetes health topic, where you can:

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD
Professor of Clinical Medicine